The Second Planning Workshop for the NSF Center on Pervasive Personalized Intelligence (PPI) will take place November 9, 2018 in Boulder, Colorado. The goal of this workshop is to bring together startups, corporations, universities, and government agencies to discuss global challenges and research solutions for enabling the next generation of Intelligent IoT. This Planning Workshop lays the foundations for a new research Center on PPI.
A warm invitation to join us on November 9 from ...
Bobby Braun, Dean, College of Engineering & Applied Science, CU
Objectives for the Planning Workshop
- Network with global thinkers: identify common challenges and opportunities for Pervasive Personalized Intelligence (PPI)
- Cooperate with industry to define industry-relevant research projects: challenge our research to make it better.
- Validate the feasibility of the PPI Center: analyze data and deliverable-driven interaction based on established NSF best practices
Outcomes For Prospective Members
- Influence the direction of the PPI Center
- Confidence that the PPI Center will provide value
- Content, purpose and direction of the Center to justify membership commitment
- Danny Dig, PPI Executive Director, CS faculty at OSU and UIUC.
- Evan Chang, Site Director for U of Colorado
- 10 faculty in ML/AI/NLP, including Tom Dietterich from OSU. Tom is regarded by many as the father of ML. Tom is an ACM Fellow, AAAS Fellow, and he served as the previous President of AAAI.
- 5 faculty on Security and Privacy, the most senior is Dan Massey from University of Colorado. Dan was previously a Program DIrector for Cyber Security Division, Department of Homeland Security.
- 5 faculty on Edge Computing, Mobile, and Cloud. The most senior person is Dirk Grunwald from CU Boulder
- 5 faculty on Programming Languages and Verification, the most senior is Sriram Sankaranarayanan
- 4 faculty on SE and HCI, the most senior is Margaret Burnett Margaret Burnett, who is the mother of the end-user Software Engineering field, and a pioneer in gender-inclusive software. She is an ACM Fellow.
- 40+ CS graduate students at OSU and CU Boulder
Venue: University of Colorado Boulder
Flatirons Room, 3rd Floor, Center for Community (C4C)
University of Colorado Boulder
2249 Willard Loop Dr, Boulder, CO 80305
The closest airport is Denver International Airport (DIA). By car, it is about a 45 minute drive to CU Boulder. We urge you to consider using public transportation during your visit to Boulder.
From Denver International Airport:
Green Ride airport shuttle. Cost: $30 one-way.
If you drive from the airport, there is a north/toll route (E-470 to Northwest Parkway to US-36) or a south/free route along (I-70 to I-270 to US-36). You should definitely take the toll route during morning/evening rush hours.
Click here for information on CU Boulder Event & Conference Parking rates, and click here for a parking map (go to map quadrant T-18). There is a parking garage at the Center for Community Building that can be accessed from Regent Drive.
2115 13th St, Boulder, CO 80302
The Hotel Boulderado is historical, nice, and in an excellent location for restaurants and shops; it is about 1.5 miles or 20-30 minutes walking to the department.
900 Baseline Rd, Boulder, CO 80302
Chautauqua is a set of cottages and lodges that are more rustic. The draw is that the location is right on open space where a bunch of hiking trails start. It is about 1.5 miles or 20-30 minutes walking to the campus, though there is a significant hill.
Best Western Plus Boulder Inn
770 28th St, Boulder, CO 80303
The Best Western Plus Boulder Inn is a slightly cheaper option that is 0.6 miles or 10-15 minute walk from the department, but there's not as much next to it (e.g., restaurants).
2660 Canyon Boulevard, Boulder, CO 80302
The Boulder Marriott is 1.0 miles or 15-20 minutes walking to the department. There are some places to eat nearby, but the location is not as nice as downtown.
The downtown area of Boulder is a really nice area with the Pearl Street pedestrian mall, lots of restaurants, farmer's market, etc. And it's about a 5 minute drive/20 minute bus ride/30 minute walk from the department. It's roughly centered around Pearl St and Broadway St.
Questions about registration and facilities can be directed to:
OSU Conference Services
Oregon State University
200 LaSells Stewart Center
Corvallis, Oregon 97331
phone: (541) 737-9300
email: [email protected]