The Planning Workshop for the NSF Center on Pervasive Personalized Intelligence (PPI) took place on Oct 11-12, 2018 in Portland, Oregon. The goal of this workshop was to bring together startups, corporations, universities, and government agencies to discuss global challenges and research solutions for enabling the next generation of Intelligent IoT. This Planning Workshop lays the foundations for a new research Center on PPI.
A warm invitation to join us on Oct 11-12 from …
Bobby Braun, Dean, College of Engineering & Applied Science, CU
Objectives for the Planning Workshop
- Network with global thinkers: identify common challenges and opportunities for Pervasive Personalized Intelligence (PPI)
- Cooperate with industry to define industry-relevant research projects: challenge our research to make it better.
- Validate the feasibility of the PPI Center: analyze data and deliverable-driven interaction based on established NSF best practices
Outcomes For Prospective Members
- Influence the direction of the PPI Center
- Confidence that the PPI Center will provide value
- Content, purpose and direction of the Center to justify membership commitment
Industry Panel Members
Moderated by Skip Newberry, CEO and President of the Technology Association of Oregon:
- Mathew Bailey, recognized IoT pioneer and authority, Arrow Electronics
- Andy Macklin, Director Smart City Initiative, Portland General Electric
- Luther Boorn, Director of Software Development, eBay
- Ben Corrado, CEO and Co-founder, Rigado
- Erin Kenneally, Portfolio Manager, Cyber Security Division, Science & Technology Directorate, U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Keynote (videostream from Live2Lead Atlanta): John C. Maxwell on LeaderShifts
John C. Maxwell is the #1 New York Times bestselling author, coach, and speaker who has sold more than 26 million books, was identified as the #1 leader in business by the American Management Association® and the world’s most influential leadership expert by Business Insider and Inc. magazines in 2014. His organizations have trained more than 6 million leaders in every nation.
- Danny Dig, PPI Executive Director, CS faculty at OSU and UIUC.
- Evan Chang, Site Director for U of Colorado
- 10 faculty in ML/AI/NLP, including Tom Dietterich from OSU. Tom is regarded by many as the father of ML. Tom is an ACM Fellow, AAAS Fellow, and he served as the previous President of AAAI.
- 5 faculty on Security and Privacy, the most senior is Dan Massey from University of Colorado. Dan was previously a Program DIrector for Cyber Security Division, Department of Homeland Security.
- 5 faculty on Edge Computing, Mobile, and Cloud. The most senior person is Dirk Grunwald from CU Boulder
- 5 faculty on Programming Languages and Verification, the most senior is Sriram Sankaranarayanan
- 4 faculty on SE and HCI, the most senior is Margaret Burnett Margaret Burnett, who is the mother of the end-user Software Engineering field, and a pioneer in gender-inclusive software. She is an ACM Fellow.
- 40+ CS graduate students at OSU and CU Boulder
Venue: Sentinel Hotel
614 SW 11th Ave, Portland, OR 97205
The closest airport is Portland International Airport (PDX). We urge you to consider using public transportation during your visit to Portland.
The MAX Light Rail – Red Line is Portland’s efficient light-rail system that runs from Portland International Airport (PDX) to downtown Portland. Galleria/SW 10th Ave MAX Station (Stop ID 8384) is 1 block from the Sentinel.
The MAX light rail Red Line is the easiest way to travel to and from the airport. Here are some quick facts:
- The trip between the airport and downtown Portland takes about 38 minutes.
- An adult ticket costs $2.50 – Youth $1.25 – Honored Citizen $1.25 (Honored Citizens are 65+, Medicare, or physical/mental disability. Proof of Eligibility required.)
- MAX ticket machines return change in coins, so small bills are recommended.
- You can roll your luggage on board.
- The first train of the day arrives at PDX at 4:45 a.m. The last train departs PDX at 11:50 p.m.
- The MAX station and ticket machines are located on the lower level, next to the south baggage claim area (turn right at the base of the escalator). View airport map.
For complete schedules and more information, visit www.trimet.org/schedules/maxredline.htm.
Lyft and Uber both operate in Portland.
Taxi Services from PDX
Driving Directions from Portland International Airport
To the Sentinel:
- Follow NE Airport Way to NE 82nd Way – (1.3 miles)
- Continue on NE 82nd Way. Take NE Sandy Blvd and I-84 W/US-30 W to SW 11th Ave – (8.1 miles)
- Turn left onto SW 11th Ave
- Destination will be on the left
Note: Please check Google Maps to see that this is the fastest route for getting to the Sentinel when you depart PDX.
Go Here for Google Map
At the Sentinel
– Valet at the hotel for $45 per day with unlimited in/out
– Short Term Parking (very limited) $15 for the first two hours and then $10 for each additional hour up to $45 per day
First Presbyterian Church Parking Lot – 12th and Morrison
Address: 661 SW 12th Ave, Portland, OR 97205 – Map & Details
Hourly: $4.00 per hr
Daily: $11.50 daily max
Evening/Weekend:Eves $3 Sun-Thur, $4 Fri & Sat Wknds $2 per hr and $4.50 max
Smart Park – 10th and Yamhill
Address: 730 SW 10th Ave, Portland, OR 97205 – Map
Up to 4 hours $7.40 Over 4 Hours (Weekdays) $14
Sunday – Thursday evening maximum (Arrive after 5 pm – Out by 5 am) $5
Saturday – Sunday daily maximum (Weekend day begins at 5 am) $5
Friday – Saturday evening maximum (Arrive after 5 pm – Out by 5 am) $5
Venue & Lodging
The Planning Workshop will take place at the Sentinel Hotel Portland which is located in the heart of downtown Portland at 614 SW 11th Ave, Portland, OR 97205. Please click here for a map and driving directions.
|Thursday, Oct. 11||Check In||Chamber Room, 3rd Floor|
|Thursday, Oct. 11||Planning Workshop Meeting||Grand Ballroom, 3rd Floor|
|Thursday, Oct. 11||Poster Session & Reception||Library Room, 2nd Floor|
|Thursday, Oct. 11||Workshop Dinner||Billiard Room, 2nd Floor|
|Friday, Oct. 12||Check In||Pre-Function, 4th Floor|
|Friday, Oct. 12||Planning Workshop Meeting||Governor Ballroom, 4th Floor|
Click here for a map of the Sentinel Hotel that indicates where the meeting program will take place.
The Sentinel Hotel in Portland, Oregon has set aside a block of rooms for the PPI Center during the meeting dates for the nightly rate of $259 + 15.3% tax. Please contact them directly at 888-246-5631 or GO HERE to make your reservation and make sure to mention you are with the PPI Center so that you will receive our group room rate.
614 SW 11th Ave
Portland OR 97205 USA
To reserve online, go here:
PPI Planning Workshop – Sentinel
Historical Facts & Design Notes
Hotel Lucia, located approx. 5 blocks from the Sentinel where the meeting will take place, has set aside a block of rooms for the PPI Center during the meeting dates for the nightly rate of $220 + 15.3% tax. Please contact them directly at 866-986-8086 or GO HERE to make your reservation and mention you are with the PPI Center so that you will receive our group room rate.
400 SW Broadway
Portland, OR 97205 USA
To reserve online, go here:
PPI Planning Workshop – Hotel Lucia
Oregon and the Pacific Northwest are full of attractions for visitors of all ages. We encourage you to spend extra days at your own convenience to visit the area.
… within walking distance from the hotel:
- Powell’s City of Books
- Lan Su Chinese Garden
- Portland Art Museum
- Pearl District
- Tom McCall Waterfront Park
- Voodoo Doughnut
- Portland Saturday Market
- Food Carts
… easy to reach via public transportation:
- Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
- Oregon Zoo
- International Rose Test Garden
- Portland Japanese Garden
- Mt Tabor Park
- Portland Aerial Tram
… a short drive away:
- Pittock Mansion (also accessible through a mix of public transportation and a short walk)
- Multnomah Falls
- Oregon Wine Country
- Columbia River Gorge
- Mt. Hood
Additional resources …
Registration for the Pervasive Personalized Intelligence Planning Workshop has closed.
|Registration Rates||After October 3|
|Global Corporation Registration||$550||$650|
(mid-size organization, 500 or fewer employees)
|Academic/Start-Up Co Registration
(50 or fewer employees)
- Access to all Keynote and Plenary Sessions
- Access to all Break-Out Sessions
- Breakfast and Lunch each day
- Poster Session & Reception @ 5PM on Thursday, October 11
- Dinner at Conference Venue @ 7PM on Thursday, October 11
- All Workshop Materials
* Please Note: If you have never utilized our registration platform, you will be asked to create a new account before the registration options are presented.
Questions about registration and facilities can be directed to:
OSU Conference Services
Oregon State University
200 LaSells Stewart Center
Corvallis, Oregon 97331
phone: (541) 737-9300
email: [email protected]